History beer brewery
Résidence La Vie en Rose is established in a historic property. The history has been linked strongly with the rich beer brewing chronicle in Limburg. In 1830, north of Limburg counted no less than 129 small breweries. In that time, brewing took place on very small scale, particularly because of its restricted durability. Sales usually took place in their own inn. The history of beer brewing in Lottum starts with Matthias Bos (1712). Through centuries the family Bos had breweries in Lottum and Grubbenvorst under the name ‘Het Anker’ (an anchor is an wooden barrel which contains approximately 40 litres). Brewing is a distinguished craft. The family Bos thus had several important functions in church or were appointed mayor.
Brewery ‘het Anker’
The history of the property starts with Hendrik Lambert Bos (born 1832). When he exactly became brewer, or at what time he took over the brewery from his father is unclear. What’s certain is that he brewed around 1870 on the location that is now known as Markt 8. His local brewery existed of a brewery with a bar. Next door his brother Anton Bos (born 04-08-1836) lived, who had a bakery. Lambert was not married. In 1871, when the purchase of castle ‘de Borggraaf’ failed, he assigned a special architect to build a grand villa with a farm house next to the brewery. In 1880, is the villa was ready.
The villa and the brewery are joined directly with each other. In the cellar of the villa you can still find the original water well. Supposedly here too beer was produced. The farm had been built in a L-shape, attached to the backside of the villa.
In 1895, Hendrik Bos died at the age of 63. Because he was not married, his brother Antoon and his wife Hubertina Joanna Schraven took over the brewery. Their marriage remains childless. In 1901, Antoon died and Joanna takes over the brewery. When in 1907 also Joanna died, Johan August Schraven (born 23-03-1881) her cousin takes over the brewery.
The founding of steam beer brewery ‘de Vriendenkring’
The industrial revolution penetrates slowly in the border region of Northern Limburg. End 1800’s there are already several industrial breweries in the Netherlands in use. The use of steam and refrigerating ensures that the quality of the beer improves and the beer can be maintained for a longer period of time. By mooring railway connections between the large cities in the Netherlands and Germany the beer industry increased. The large breweries repressed the local breweries, which did not have the financial resources to buy a steam-engine. At the beginning of 1900’s the import beer in Northern Limburg is a serious threat for the small breweries. In 1914, for this reason four local breweries (brewery ‘de Roobeek’, brewery ‘de Oranjenboom’, brewery ‘Van Soest’ and brewery ‘het Anker’) decide to works together and set up Steam beer brewery ‘de Vriendenkring’. They built a new modern brewery in Arcen, in the direct surroundings of the train connection between Venlo and Nijmegen, moored in 1913.
From ‘De Vriendenkring’ to ‘Hertog Jan’
Brewery ‘de Vriendenkring’ survives the war. In the ’40-ties the brewery gets in financial problems and brewery 'De Drie Hoefijzers' from Breda buys them out. The brewery and the mark ‘VK’ beer continues to exist. In 1956, the old brewery in Arcen was modernised and cultivated to the brewery such as we now still know. In 1968, because of financial problems ‘de Drie Hoefijzers’ are taken over by the English brewery group Allied Breweries Limited. The production in Arcen continues to exist again. In October 1980 Allied confessed the plans to close the brewery in Arcen. Than three employees decide to buy the Arcen brewery and established the ‘Arcense Stoombierbrouwerij’ LTD. In 1981 their first beer appeared on the market. They brought some new high fermented beers of excellent quality on the market. The assortment was then by far the largest and most varied of the Netherlands. On October 29th 1992 the ‘Arcense Stoombierbrouwerij’ was incorporated by ‘Oranjeboom’ (united beer breweries Breda-Rotterdam/Allied Breweries the Netherlands). On 6 February 1995 Interbrew takes over. In 1998, the name of the brewery changes of ‘Arcense Stoombierbrouwerij’ to ‘Hertog Jan’.
From brewery ‘het Anker’ to résidence La Vie en Rose
Up to 1920 in the brewery in Lottum beer was still produced on small scale. In the autumn of 1920 the brewery closes, but the bar continues to exist. The bar was run by several managers. In 1966, the bar and the brewery burned down entirely. On the location of the brewery itself a new family house was build. In the former bakery of Antoon Bos you can nowadays find a small antique shop. The villa and the farm remained as they were. In the villa you can still find several details which remind you of the rich history. The farm is restored and is rebuilt to accommodate résidence La Vie en Rose, a luxury Bed & Breakfast.